View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
Hi Uncle J, sorry but I have to disagree here. One of the benefits of keeping a car a long time is that the depreciation curve comes close to being flat, and the car is judged and appraised on its condition alone, not its age. I expect to be spending at least $2K per year in repairs and maintenance when I get to 150K, probably more when you average in tires, batteries, clutch, cooling system, and suspension components. Still way less than the cost of leasing a new car every three years which is roughly equivalent to paying for the steep part of the depreciation curve. Even probably less than replacing a car every six years., which I think is roughly the sweet spot for replacement if you don't want to commit to keeping a long time.

Of course, in my case I can't really replace the car, since the MT is no longer offered. Which is one major reason I'm in it for the long haul.
Agree on all fronts. The depreciation curve smooths out. It also makes the new car negotiation easier. When your old X3 is worth only $2K, what's $500 either way? Focus the negotiation on the new car price.
And I completely echo the thoughts about the manual transmission. Since BMW no longer offers a manual transmission AWD vehicle in the USA, I've got to keep my 2006 X3 indefinitely. When it goes, I'll likely switch to an Audi S4 or VW GTI (R?).