View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
When your iPhone is plugged into USB, iDrive assumes you don't want to stream. There is no workaround for this. When you are plugged in via USB, you cannot stream over Bluetooth. Certain apps, like Pandora, allow you to listen to music via the USB connection and not via Bluetooth wireless. Check your individual apps for settings that allow you to toggle between the two.

In general, docking your iPhone to USB is inconvenient in a BMW. The workaround that many of us use is to buy a beater iPod touch and keep that in the armrest all the time. This way, your iPhone can connect over Bluetooth for phone, text, and streaming while your iPod has your MP3's ready to go. An iPod touch can sync to iTunes over Wi-Fi, so you don't even need to bring the iPod into the house to get new content on it or update playlists.

BJ
My 335i M-sport is coming in next week and I'm still trying to wrap my head around the nuances of using the USB vs the bluetooth. If you use an iPod Touch in the armrest while your iPhone is connected via bluetooth, does that limit the BMW apps you can use because most of them don't work through bluetooth and the iPod Touch doesn't have a cellular connection? Said another way, do you lose certain functionality but gain the convenience of not having to plug your phone in everytime? Just trying to figure out exactly how I want to set everything up. Thanks for all of the help.