View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by katanaplanet View Post
Not doing it to resell or for a profit
You may not but if you could provide feedback at the end as to the costs, it may help others who may be considering a similar effort. Of course, each instance may well be different but it would be nice to have a reference from someone who accomplished it as to what the final toll comes out to in the end.

I once restored a Hydroplane that everyone else had written off. What wasn't rotted was gone when I first started. I fiberglassed portions of the transom, replaced entire chunks of mahogany (boat was nearly 100% mahogany sheets), added a canvas front, etc. It was a 'summer project" for me and I am certain I spent WAY more than it was worth doing it but to me, it was a large model that I wanted to put back together better than new. At the end of the project, I enjoyed riding in it (until that one day I about flipped it doing 75MPH). We bought the boat for $10.00 and had nearly $2,500 into it at the end (2 heads & one racing lower unit, 4 props, etc). I think we got $1,600 from a collector and that helped me pay for my 1st year in college.

PS - The boat had originally set a speed record for the fastest straight line alcohol-burning engine of 99.17MPH in the late 60's & was even listed in the Guiness book of world records when I restored it (back in the late 70s). Mighty Flighty was it's name & I retained it when I restored it. It was a LOT of fun and very rewarding. I am certain you will find a similar feeling once you get to the end of this journey. Good luck & god's speed!

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 02-01-2013 at 12:04 AM.