View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leka View Post
Well, thanks very much, because I was not shure about this change and that kind of power (360hp) confuzet me, so I thought that it wouldn't be good for car, and also I don't understand what does it menas to REMAP. Can anyone explain it to me?
I will have a go. The engine management has a three dimensional map that connects things like fuel volume, air volumes, throttle position, speed sensors etc to power and torque. The position in the map changes with load on the motor and speed. The manufacturers map is conservative to allow for different fuel quality and also a manufacturer can deliberately keep power / torque down to differentiate models that use the same motor. So a re-map changes the relationships above to produce more power and more torque for a given throttle position. The remaps are often tested to not stress the motor.

How did I do? to other with more knowledge please chip in . .

For me I reprogrammed via the OBD port in the driver footwell. Plugged the programmer in, it reads and saves the current firmware revision and map. Then I sent this detail to Superchip in the UK by connecting the programmer to a PC. Superchip sent me back a new map that is loaded in the programmer with the existing factory map. Connect the programmer to the OBD port again and re-program the management system. I can revert to stock by selection in the programmer any time I want. Programming takes about 5 minutes.

The advantage of a remap is that the management system knows what is going on. If stability control is activated, the management knows what is happens with engine torque as well as brakes. Tuning boxes break this close cooperation. More torque is actually present than the ECU knows about and stability control is compromised.