View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisihitch View Post
Having your dealer bring the vehicle's software up to date should either be covered under your service warranty or not (depending on the status of your particular coverage). That issue is independent of programming the hitch option, which is not covered as "software maintenance." The rules are the same, regardless of which steel beam you are installing. If you are covered, you can always force the issue if necessary by bringing your vehicle in for a software update prior to bringing it in for hitch coding.

Or you could talk to your SA about the invisihitch. They wouldn't be the first dealer to install and code either hitch for the same price...

Your mileage may vary, but I do not yet know of a dealer who "throws in" the software maintenance when installing the BMWNA hitch but charges for it when installing the invisihitch. In both cases, it can turn out to be a hidden cost if you are out of coverage on the software maintenance and you aren't savvy enough to know that you need to negotiate it up front.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com
You're correct, Daryl. I should have clarified that my perspective was because my car is outside of the 50K manufacturers warranty period. Any coding is done at the "normal" hourly dealer rates.

This is good stuff ... I appreciate the full disclosure of this post!
BMWCCA #20645