View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to 01tj
Mein Auto: E46 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I think the last X3 stick was '10 -- but they are rare. If you have to drive a stick, the Cayenne base (and GTS) come with sticks -- but are probably even more rare than the manual X3. The base (2wd) Tiguan comes with a stick as does the Subie Forester and Outback and there are probably more of those around than the others. Since you already have a BMW then you probably already have your maintenance/repair indy on hand. That really is the biggest drawback to a BMW, the lack of availability of parts and good service in some areas. What about a manual, king cab pickup? Very useful things to have -- much more useful in fact than an X3 and certainly cheaper to run and maintain. The Nissan Frontier, Toyota, Chev/GMC, Ford and Dodge all make nice mid-size trucks and all, I believe, can be had with sticks in at least some configurations.
There is a local guy that specializes in European vehicles but I have a Bentley service manual and have done all my own services. I guess I had Bobby Rahaul change the diff fluid when they did the tail light re-call and they did it free of charge. I get my parts on-line and haven't had any trouble finding anything yet.

I've thought about a 4 door truck but it seems like 6-speeds are rarer in those than in the X3. You can get a Dakota, Frontier, and Tacoma with 4 doors and 3 pedals but options are limited and and some of them were only available for a few model years. Ford doesn't make a 4 door ranger and the Chevy is only available with the 4cyl. If I get a truck I'm keeping my car. I've also thought about getting an older X3 (04's and 05's seem to be fairly cheap) and keeping my car.