View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmanz2 View Post
I like your thinking . Why put a ford part on a BMW when you can use the quality BMW piece that will last and be designed for the particular car?
I'm not wanting an argument - but - antifreeze is antifreeze (within reason) so why would antifreeze for a Ford be any different than antifreeze for a bimmer?

Assuming similar engines and similar expected use, antifreeze for one engine would be the same as antifreeze for the next similar engine - no matter who makes that antifreeze.

Of course, any SPECIFIC antifreeze will have its own chemical makeup - and THAT is worth discussing - but - whether Ford makes it (or specifies it) versus whether BMW makes it (or specifies it) is, to me, absolutely meaningless as a comparison.

The only difference between Ford and BMW is the M A R K E T I N G.

If you fall sway to marketing, then, by all means, only buy the blue stuff. If you want chemistry, then first read all that is in the links I provided.

Take specific note that the water we analyzed from NY and from where I live (San Jose) easily meets BMW specifications - so you can save that distilled water for the battery (where it actually matters more).