View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post

The outlet power you see is existing (aluminum) wire. It's very common around here for homes built during the Vietnam conflict when copper got silly expensive. As I understand it, they didn't know at the time that aluminum wire could start fires so readily. Now, we have to put this 'goo' on it so that it doesn't vibrate the wire nuts off and start a fire when tied to a copper wire. The switch plate power was in place from the remodel 9 years ago. One of my big objectives for this space was to rid the house of the last bit of wood panels. This stuff was what I imagine was called 'honey gold' when it was put in. There must have been 6 coats of paint on it before we added the neutral beige. .
You should replace all Aluminum wires. Adding NoAlox (the grey goop) is NOT protection against fire, wire failure, etc. The goop prevents corrosion of the aluminum, but the AL wire still can fail. The wire nuts dont vibrate off, the wire breaks and the current arcs across the break - generating heat and leading to the fire. Or, this happens in the cable itself, when an errant ding during construction causes a weak spot then it is stressed by settling.

Is this work being inspected??

I wired a lot of houses in the 70s when AL was popular- it was just cheap crap and I never used it. Given labor and other equipment costs, running AL romex for 15 or 20A circuits was a false economy- maybe saved 10% on a job. Popular with budget builders...

Again, get rid of it all. IMO

A