View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 08:26 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 128i Convertible
MSM IS very touristy, with lots of trinkets and cheapo souvenirs. That being said, we absolutely loved it. Quite unique and especially enjoyable if you spend the night. At the very least, drive by and take a photo from a distance. The place has to be seen to be believed. We went during the Christmas holidays and while it was crowded, it wasn't as bad as being at the Eifel Tower, Louvre, or Versailles.

The best part of the trip was the D-Day beaches. Absolutely loved a place called Etretat as well. If you do go to the D-Day stuff, read a lot in advance and bring a good guidebook like "Stand Where They Fought" as a reference. There are lots of remnants still standing but if you don't know what you're looking at it's rather pointless. Not very much signage or explanation. Driving along the coast near Etretat-Fecamp-St Valery-en-Caux and Dieppe was spectacular. Every side road we talk we found something of historic or cultural interest.

By the way, I normally despise France, but Normandy and Brittany were nearly as lovely as Germany in my book. Awesome people, great food, delicious cheeses and booze, and so much to see. Maybe the most civilized drivers I've ever had to deal with too. I'm already planning a return trip to see all the British and Canadian beaches.

One thing we DIDN'T like: restaurants don't usually open for dinner until well after 7 pm. After spending all day on the road. climbing sand dunes and photographing every square inch of the region, we were usually famished by 5:30. We found accomodations to be very clean and reasonably priced. Dinners were not. Usually $50 per person for dinner.
2012 BMW 128i Convertible (red)
2013 MINI Cooper Coupe (red)
2014 Ford Fusion (grey)