View Single Post
Old 02-03-2013, 01:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
Yeah it was inspected. Legacy wiring is exempted from code. It's been 9 years since we did the major wiring and we haven't had an issue. ~45 years since the place was built and no fires. We're aware of what *can* happen, but it hasn't. None of our 800 neighbors whose homes were built at the same time have had an issue attributed to AL wiring. At least not according to the HOA logs from back to the 70's.

The neighborhood was custom builders including my wife's parents who used their own plans around the corner from our current home. It was set up so that any one builder could not build the same home on the same street or in the same view as a similar plan to keep the neighborhood from looking like a cookie cutter. They even had a requirement that your garage door could not be on the same side as the face of your house. It could be off to the side or around back, not facing the street except on the secondary corner.

Ours, her parent's and our immediate neighbors who built and still live in their homes have direct experience over 40 years with the wiring leads that us to believe that the hype around it is *more likely* to lead to an *unlikely* problem.

All I'll say if it isnt a problem, the code would still allow it. Even with all the HOA records on 800 homes going back 40 years....IMO these risks are best judged by data, not singular experiences.

However, we all make risk/benefit decisions every day. In the whole scheme of things, this one is not at the top.

Finally, when I was doing this, I would always discuss this trade off with owners- and explain the cost. Never had to run it. If I recall a 250' roll of 12/2 wg romex was$25 and AL was $15. Electricians that were not passing costs along with Time and Material bids would be pressed to reduce costs, unrelated to the type of houses built. (OTOH, ran plenty of multistrand Al...0000 down to #6)