View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
Mid-engine placement in the BMW? I assume you just mean it is placed slightly more behind the front axle than with the Audi.

Btwy, while journalists like to talk about the perfect weight distribution, it is worth noting that doesn't translate in ideal polar moment of inertia. One involves integrating lengths while the other requires integrating squares of lengths. All these cars are still inherently more prone to understeer, although obviously some more than others.

What you are referring to is indeed rather subjective and a strong function of what one is used to. Most traditional racers always prefer RWD over AWD, because that is what they are used to and because it is easier to loosen and control the rear end. There was a video on this forum a long time ago about a pro racer driving an AWD 911 and the 2WD counterpart on a tight indoor course. The AWD went faster, but he preferred the feel of the RWD. My guess is that it had a lot to do with what he was used to. It is a very subjective thing. But I do know what you are talking about.

Btwy, I don't see in the C&D review the paraphrase you are referring to. And it is worth noting that although Audi suck some summer tires on that car, it is not a sport pack A4 (steering has four spokes).
I said "front mid engine" indicating the bulk of the engine is behind the centerline of the front axle. I have no idea what you are talking about regarding polar moment but the general idea that car magazines talk about is having most the of weight between the wheelbase rather than at the end of the car. Audi's engine placement is a negative in this regard compared to BMW.

Here is the phrase from the CD omparo: "Throw the A4 into a corner, and the front end plows delicately and predictably. Itís not the most joyous way around a bend, but it is repeatable and secure and requires very *little skill."

Here's what they say about the 328i handling: "The brandís obsession with even weight distribution pays handling dividends. Front and rear tires seem to work equally hard. The new 3 most closely resembles the previous car in its balanced feel and nearly neutral handling."