View Single Post
Old 02-04-2013, 06:01 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome View Post
This. I think I'm going trust BMWs millions dollars of research and segment leading sales (one month in 2013 thus far withstanding) over opinions of random posters in a bimmer forum. Yes, is there a portion of BMW's buyers which are enthusiasts? Absolutely - its probably greater than the 2% BJ claims, but it certainly is NOT the majority. If it were, then we would have a car much closer to the E46 rather than the current day F30. For BMW, its all about the $$. They built and designed their bread and butter 3 series to maximize their sales. It's worked for the last 10+ years overwhelmingly well. Now we have 1 month of data showing a kink in the armor ... let's see if this is a trend or an anomaly. I tend to think BMW knows its customer base. 2012 was its best year ever.
2012 was also the best year for Audi which tells us that the entire segment is growing. I am not exactly sure what segment the buyers are moving over from, It does not seem to be the Accord/Camry segment as their sales have been very strong as well.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians