View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
In my case it wound up being a perfect vehicle for me in August of 2012. I previously owned a 2010 Q5 and absolutely loved the car. My intention was to go with another Q5 Hybrid/Diesel, but I was really disappointed with their new Hybrid model (the premium cost + scarce availability in CA at the time were deal-killers) and their TDI model isn't coming until later this year / 2014. I looked at the A7 but there wasn't one available with the color combo I wanted and at 6'2" I was finding ingress and egress a bit tight.I like a high driving position and with the seat up in the A7 my head was scraping the roofline when getting in / sitting in the vehicle. Nothing from Lexus really interested me all that much. The Q7 just looks like a boat. Even though I drive a GT, the Q7 just *felt* too big. I don't have the need for seating for 7.

I considered the F10 5 series because the looks are gorgeous on the outside. The interior was nice enough, but I really didn't want to get back into a sedan again. The X5 is long in the tooth and due for a refresh this year. I owned a X5 previously as well so there was a bit of been there, done that in my mind. The X6 is terrific-looking as well but again, it's in need of a refresh (having to stick the key in a slot in the dash is just silly in a $80,000 car in 2012/2013). I wasn't looking for a GT at all, but they had a 550GT in the color combo I absolutely love (Carbon Black / Ivory) and they were offering almost a $10k discount off sticker for the 2012 models they had in stock, so I was essentially getting a 7 series for the price of a loaded 550 F10. The driving position is higher and the comfort and roominess overall is outstanding. It being fast as hell is a nice bonus.

When August 2014 rolls around I'll be looking seriously at a Tesla Model X (if it exists by August of 2014), Q5 TDI or X5/X6 post-refresh. The higher driving position is what I enjoy the most.