View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoman View Post
heres how to unlock those connectors
http://www.bmwgm5.com/GM3_E39_Removal.htm
Ah! Fantastic description! Thanks for finding that.

It looks like I had already tried the right moves, but, I just didn't force it hard enough.
1. The large connector, as the description says, starts out easily - but then jams tight. It seems I need to use more force.
2. The two smaller connectors have that locking tab; I guess I just have to press down on that locking tab with more force, and then swing the lever to the left (in the picture).

Those instructions you found make it seem intuitively easy!

This closeup of the GM Module board from your reference shows the tabs that need to be overcome:

Quote:
Im thinking its fuse 4 or 9
Those two should be relatively easy to pull since they're both in the glovebox:
F4 = 20A, Passenger comp/trunk lighting, Windscreen washer system
F9 = 15A, Air conditioner, Heated washer jets [Check Control Module panel]

Quote:
I get the clicky noise too even after fsu. I've read that perhaps the heater valve is the cause of the clicks
The clicks 'do' sound weird. Nothing I've ever heard before, at least not when the car is just sitting there, doing nothing (except clicking & sourcing current). I'm lucky I caught it on video as it didn't happen all the time. The noise actually sounds like a relay kicking on and off - but I have no idea what relay that could be.

I admit, it was almost dark by the time I pulled the FSU Fuse F79, so, I'll have to look again tomorrow. I have the car outside, unlocked, with the trunk open, charging away on the charger - so I hope it doesn't rain tonight.

BTW, how much is your active & quiescent current?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gm_module_bmw_e39.jpg
Views:	3883
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	361015   Click image for larger version

Name:	GMIII_8378631_Board2.jpg
Views:	3577
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	361016  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need