View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 323
Whirling noise and warning lights - what could it be?

I have a 323 with about 160,000 miles on it. This past month the engine has been making a whirling noise when idling. Usually I would hear it when starting the car and it would soon go away but this week it kept making the noise when stopped at red lights. Today, a bunch of warning lights came on in the dashboard. Not at the same time but one after the other. At first the engine oil lamp would come on when starting the car but would disappear soon after and never come on again until I started it. I checked the oil level and it's still around the max level.

Then this afternoon during the noise disappeared after a 30minute drive but the check engine lamp came on and soon after that the dynamic stability lamp came on. I was going to see if I can take a video of the noise but the noise disappeared. However, when idling, there is some slight engine vibration that can be felt when inside the car.

Any idea what this problem could be? I had the same noise come up about a year ago and took it to a mechanic to have a look at it. If I remember he opened out the air intake and blew compressed air through it and that seemed to work for a bit.

Thanks.
Advertisement