View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_330 Send a message via Skype™ to thumper_330
Mein Auto: 2012 K1600GT, 2008 M3
First to clarify; that's this April or next? Next April there's a possibility 1'er will be the 2'er and will be the next generation according to what I've read. Though of course, that may well be wrong... either way next April there won't be an E92 M3 to the best of my knowledge unless they extend the M3 beyond the coupe... which they haven't said definitively to the best of my knowledge again; they certainly didn't continue the E90 M3 Sedan...

A friend of mine has an E46 M3, and yes we've taken them both to the track. We've both traded cars and driven against each other in each other's cars too... and you know what? The 135i can hang with the E46 M3 with little trouble. The M3 does tend to get ahead where you've got long straights because it can just rev higher and longer... plus after a few hours on the track (85 degree day, moderate humidity) the 135i was running pretty damned hot and needed a rest... the M3 probably could've kept going all day. Having said that, how often are you really going to be driving like that? Bear in mind also, this was on stock wheels, tires and suspension. His M3 is a stick, my 135i is a DCT.

For the record, I did find the M3 easier to drive and super-legal speeds... the 135i gets a bit floaty above about 120... but on the road that's probably never going to be an issue

The E92 M3 is a truly awesome beast, but yes that V8 does suck down the gas. I found driving one (not on a track, just on the streets) was an almost sublime experience; everything just felt right about it but I just couldn't justify the cost premium and fuel premium over my basically fully-loaded 135i. When I decided to buy it, I figured that it was 95% of an M3 for 65% of the cost... that just made sense to me.

While I think any of these cars are fantastic, I would lean toward the 135i or 135is (more performance) simply from a value perspective. I'm almost half way through my lease and am seriously going back and forth whether I want to take another Euro Delivery or buy out the lease on my 135i... I like it that much.

HTH...
2012 BMW 135i - Deep Sea Blue / Terracotta / DCT *SOLD*
2012 BMW K1600GT - Vermillion Red Metallic
2008 BMW E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Silver / 6MT

http://www.driveblog.net