View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
For your troubleshooting sequence, I would recommend pulling the FSU first rather than pulling fuse 76 for the following reasons
I agree with you and will update the procedure so others don't make the same mistake I just did.
In fact, I just pulled the FSU, after decrying that the Germans are still getting back at us for what we did to Dresden in the daylight, way back in 1945, by designing that diabolical God awful FSU harness connector (which broke, again, in my clumsy hands).
You need three (tiny) hands:
1. One hand to hold the flashlight
2. Another to press the clips on the harness connector
3. And a third hand to pull the fsu away from the harness connector

Quote:
I would still pull your FSU and check it out. It is the only really accesible component on the heater blower circuit that has a history of causing this exact failure.
For others following this, I concur with Fudman that pulling the FSU is a wiser move than pulling the fuse F76 because of the following:
a) Pulling fuse F76 is a general test while pulling the FSU is a specific test
b) Pulling & replacing the FSU is actually slightly EASIER (if you can believe that) than pulling & replacing the yellow 40A fuse F76.
c) If the problem turns out to be the FSU, you have to pull it anyway to replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatoman View Post
How many mile do you have?
I have 112K miles on my 2002 which I had bought still under the factory warranty so I'm only the second owner.

In order to isolate the problem, I'm now going to run some amperage tests with the FSU removed and the fuse F76 back in place.
Here is the replacement FSU I just pulled, next to the original FSU I saved all these years (waiting for a round tuit to finally autopsy it).

Quote:
did you buy your FSU from the dealer?
Unfortunately, I did NOT buy my replacement FSU from the dealer.
This receipt, from late January of 2009, that I posted to the forums shows I bought it from AutoHauzAZ (before I knew about Max).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old_and_oem_fsu.jpg
Views:	2247
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	361289   Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_e39_fuse_f76_fsu_blower_motor_fsr.jpg
Views:	4434
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	361291   Click image for larger version

Name:	location_of_bmw_e39_fsu_fsr_harness_connector.jpg
Views:	2678
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	361292  

Last edited by bluebee; 02-07-2013 at 06:02 PM.