View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
Check current draw at battery after 16 minutes (don't open or close doors or do anything to re-start sleep mode.
Hi Bill,
Welcome back!
I'm going to add your advice to the original post (so others can follow your advice).
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540iman View Post
If current drain is 20 amps then it probably is the FSU. If the current drain is say 3 amps then the infamous fuse 56 comes into play.
It makes a lot of sense that the actual nature of the current draw implicates certain circuits, so I'll add your wonderful advice to the first post above (for the benefit of all).

For example:
a. If it's double-digit current draw, then pull the FSU, and check current draw again.
b. For single-digit current draw, pull F56, and check current draw again.

EDIT: I just tested my active & quiescent current with the FSU removed (and with fuse F76 back in place):
Active period: 1.88 amps
Quiescent period: 80 milliamps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw_e39_fsu_diagnostic_test.jpg
Views:	3354
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	361317  
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 02-07-2013 at 08:02 PM.