Thread: 535 vs 335
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
What makes you think Audi is so much better at offering manuals compared to BMW? It's industry wide at this point, the killing off of the manual.
Back in the late 70s & 80s everyone thought the demise of the manual trans was around the corner because of environmental regulation of exhaust. When you shift gears, the momentary let off the throttle as you change gears would create a "puff" that kept some cars from passing emissions! Many cars were available with sticks but not in California because of the stringent regulations. At that time people talked about the death of the stick shift!

Back in 1987, 29% of new vehicles sold in the U.S. were manual transmission, but by 2010 manuals comprised just under 4%. However, 7% of new cars sold were manuals in 2012! From the news I heard the other day that I found most interesting was of teen drivers, the ones who drove sticks were safer! I guess the free hand was used for something other than texting.

From article: http://business.time.com/2012/08/02/...#ixzz2KSjH08xR

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats

Last edited by kpgray; 02-09-2013 at 08:25 PM.