View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
I'm not getting these arguments pro or con either way? When it comes down to it with a lease, isn't it ultimately cheaper to lease a car? For example, over a 9 year period, with an average $1,000 lease payment, you would spend $108,000 and get 3 new cars out of it (with no money for warranty repairs/maintenance, etc), if you purchase you get the car outright for $100k, stay in it for 3 years, and go back to the dealer, most likely your dropping at least another 20-30k to buy a new car with trade in value built in? Times that out over 9 years (trading the purchased car in every 3 years), you're paying near the same, but fronting all the money instead of keeping it in pocket?? Maybe I'm simplifying this way too much?

I just read an article someone posted in the 7 forum that linked to an article from Edmunds that had this in it:

Retained Value
Our Imperial Blue Metallic BMW 750i rolled into the Inside Line test garage with a price tag of $90,870. It left one year later, down 23 percent in value according to Edmunds' TMV® Calculator. This equates to a price of $69,607 for a private-party sale.

It seems depreciation (after 3 years) in a purchased car would almost kill the idea of buying v. leasing? Si o no?

On another side note, this is me trying to figure out the benefits of leasing/purchasing as I am ready to buy/lease, and thinking the leasing is better, would love to have people offer advice/pointers on this thought process...

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)

Last edited by Popoemt; 02-13-2013 at 09:44 PM.