View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by swajames View Post
The bottom line is that BMW is throwing money at leases to move metal. BMW is selling you money at close to free, is setting its lease residuals artificially high and is making it easier than it's ever been to drive a new car. You can crunch the numbers all you like, but there's really no reason for a well structured lease deal to be markedly more (if any more) expensive than the cost you'd incur were to choose to finance or buy the same car outright over the same period. As I said above, deals are either good or bad, and the bad deals are not solely the preserve of the lessee. A poorly prepared buyer will pay more regardless of how they finance their vehicle.
If you bought out a car that's attractive during its "Lease period" after the Lease is up, they'd "get you" on the buyout part. Using my own car as an example, which is a very good example of very attractive Lease pricing/terms due to artificially high residual (74% for two years on a $63,450 MSRP car):

My total payments, including drive off total to a little over or around $14,000 for two years (not including Tax each month, to keep things more easy to calculate, tax adds a little over $1K to the total). So if I return the car at Lease end, I "win" as I simply took advantage of a great deal. However, if I were initially planning to purchase one car for the next 6+ years, and chose Lease simply to keep cash in my bank to work for me with the intent to cancel out and even come hopefully far ahead of any losses incurred from not buying the car outright to begin with, choosing to have a "trial period" for a couple of years, also to extend my payment period for 7 years (instead of 5 like when you finance), etc., it gets more complicated.

My artificially high residual payment on a $63,450 car that was priced down to about $56.5 after discounts and incentives, is $46,900 after 24 months.

Therefore, if I chose to buy out this car (pretending that my initial plan again was to "buy one car for 6+ years", by way of Leasing for its extra benefits listed above, or outright buying), I'd be spending roughly $4-5K more over time as it would total me $60,900 to Lease then purchase my particular car.

So, basically, in my scenario, that $4K would have to be worth not only the luxury of "in case something happens within the first two years I can get out easily", but also being able to extend payments out on the car, therefore allowing me to use the $30+K I would have put down on it to make me even more money than $4K.

I hope that makes sense. Leasing is very complex when you start looking at how much it would cost you for 6 or so years, whether or not you buy the car or Lease multiples, when you start adding stuff up.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 02-13-2013 at 09:39 PM.