Thread: opinions
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
NSL - you made a key point... your frame of reference is that you are a Honda owner. My wife and I had owned exclusively Honda's/Acuras for the past 20 or so years. So, two years ago when I started researching a move up to a lux/sport convertible, I also fell in love with the six after a test drive. Given my Honda history, I had been spoiled by infallible reliability and modest maintenance costs. For me it wasn't that I couldn't easily afford the six's roughly 2X or 3X maintenance costs and likely big ticket repair(s), but it went to my personal "ownership satisfaction" ... if the high costs came frequently, then I was going to become a dissatisfied owner no matter how sweet she drove and looked... So, I made the decision to pay a few thousand more for a CPO. Also, I was fortunate enough to buy during a BMW sales promotion where I also received the free extended maintenance to match the CPO out to 6 yrs/100K miles. So, in the last 2.5 years, my only costs have been tires, a battery and a few mod's.

In summary, my advice to you is given your Honda perspective, you should look at a CPO with BMW-backed warranty with some protection from the high-dollar repair as it will likely make a difference not only in your wallet but in your ownership satisfaction. Good luck with the research and the hunt, which was allot of fun for me.

Oh, and my MPG has averaged 19+ (about 60% highway, the rest city)

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)