Thread: Gas mileage?
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mason View Post
Well, I've done several pure highway runs on a full tank of gas. The best is about 23 mpg, worst was 18 mpg. Most of time, highway mpg is 19-21 mpg. City and highway combined is 15-16 mpg. I do admit 65-70 mph is not my thing. If the road is empty, I am doing 85-90. But if you tell me to drive slower then there is no point to get a V8.
I did drive mine on the Autobahn after pickup, and while I didn't exceed the 100mph (160k/hr) max speed recommended during the breakin, I did drive awhile at that speed and often over 80. With a virgin 535i, on that trip, I averaged about what you did on your V8, about 24mpg. Note, the x-drive is about 8-10% worse mileage than the rear-drive, and mine's an x-drive.

No vehicle gets great mileage at 85-90mph. Anything over 70mph or so and the drag becomes a MUCH bigger factor. The forces increase exponentially, so a little goes a long ways...So, if you chose to break the laws of the country, you end up paying for it one way or the other. The 535i will cruise at 100mph and faster, but it will get better mileage while doing it. Save the high speeds for the track...you don't need the V8 to cruise at 85-90.