Thread: X3 and Bicyles
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 11:04 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Thanks for the information. If you don't reprogram, isn't the rear PDC going to sound all the time with bikes when backing up? I guess you can hit the button to silence it. I saw one of your posts indicating the X3 gravel guard needed to be removed. Is that still necessary?
Actually, even if you do install the OEM harness and reprogram the vehicle, the rear PDC will still alarm when you reverse with a bike rack. You will have to silence it manually.

This is because the tow harness only communicates back to the vehicle when a trailer is plugged in. Using a bike rack, you will never trigger this situation. So the OEM harness will not tell the vehicle to silence the rear PDC if you use the hitch only for a bike rack and not for towing.

(Note: We have done a couple of custom installations for bike-rack customers that included the OEM harness plus a trailer emulator to auto-silence the rear PDC, but such an approach strikes me as a fairly expensive workaround to manually silencing the PDC or simply putting up with it during reverse with a bike-rack attached).

As for your other question about the gravel guard, yes, you do need to either trim a small rectangular opening in the plastic gravel guard underneath the vehicle OR you can remove the gravel guard entirely and save it for replacement just prior to selling the vehicle. Either way, there must be a way to access the opening of the invisihitch receiver from under the vehicle. A poster pointed out a third option.... you could purchase a replacement gravel guard and save it, while trimming an opening in your current gravel guard. Personally, I am a trimmer because the opening is completely underneath the vehicle and it is a small opening. However, I can see the merits of the other suggestions.

Attached is a photo showing the gravel guard and the amount of trim required.

Daryl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW X3 [F25] underside gravel-guard panel.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	362813