Thread: X3 and Bicyles
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2012 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I don't know all the technical differences [between hitches of different price points] but...
The technical differences are many. I am not going to disparage a company for their strategy or their products when, by their own admission, their focus is to hit the absolute lowest-possible price point. Walmart has obviously demonstrated that a company can make billions by establishing itself at the lowest-possible price point. It is a reasonable market strategy. But you necessarily sacrifice quality, safety, and features when your corporate goal is to hit the lowest-possible price point with a hitch. It is simply not economically feasible to do otherwise.

As to some of the many technical differences.... you will not ever see the OEM harness offered with the lowest-price hitch because BMW will not permit the sale of the harness except through OEM-qualified suppliers. You will not ever see a 4,400 lb towing capacity on the lowest-price hitch for the X3. One thing you will see are load-bearing welds, which you will never see on an invisihitch.

You won't get a snug, precision-machined latching mechanism for your ball mount with the lowest-price hitch. Instead, you will experience significant forward/aft play while you drive. With the lowest-price hitch, you will not get a hitch that passed dynamic load tests or salt-spray tests because such testing adds significantly to the cost. And with the lowest-price hitch, you will not get a hitch that passes crash-safety testing for rear-end collisions. Because designing hitches to distribute crash forces through the crumple zones is expensive.

I have respect for the different market strategies of different companies. But I don't shop for my dress shirts at Walmart. And I don't put my family into a well-engineered BMW vehicle and then strap a crash-force concentrator on the rear. Even if it costs me $300 more to put something back there that will protect them.

Yes I do have a horse in this race. But that doesn't disqualify me from being able to see clear differences between two very different products.

Daryl
daryl@invisihitch.com