View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 08:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
well, one way to test...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbolin@me.com View Post
I just had both HPFPs replaced on my 2004 760i along with the fuel pump with regulator at the tank and both fuel filters up front. The HPFPs are about $2,500 each. My indy advised having BMW dealer do the service which, of course, put a premium on the labor. BMW tested, I do not know how they tested so please do not ask, the HPFP on bank one and determined it was bad. Advised replacing both at the same time.

pull off the rubber hose attached to each one and look for gas rolling out. That rubber hose is not supposed to have gas in it. Its for venting. If it's on both sides, both are probably bad. If only one side, then that side for sure is bad. But--the vent system is joined together and the pumps are at the low spot in the tubing. Gas from one "could" go around the motor and spill into the other side.

ask me how I know? at 135K both of mine are so bad, the engine pours gas out the tailpipe when I start it. For weeks it was just giving me some occasional rough idle and bumps while driving. I just kept driving it until one day, I almost did not make it home. It's waiting for me to repair it.

as for reliabilty? I bought the car with 100K. It's gone 35K with no issues except some old, dried up weeping coolant hoses, which is normal for that age and miles....and has needed a major tune-up all the time I've owned it--which I have ignored. I have no complaints about my daily driver experience with it.

I have a novel approach to the repair. I'll let the forum know how it goes in a few weeks.