View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5
Was driving my 2006 X5 on the highway when all of a sudden the engine shut off. I was able to feel the slight loss of power early so was thankfully able to make it the shoulder (right at the apex of an off ramp...pretty scary). The car wouldn't start again. I had it towed and was informed it was hydrolock which in turn had damaged the crankshaft and rendered the engine useless. I have constantly maintained my vehicle at the dealer and have long records of the car burning oil and constantly having to get the maintenance people to top it up (even sending an e-mail for the record indicating my concern regarding this issue). With each inquiry as to why it was going through so much oil I was met with a standard response of "I don't know". It would appear that BMW is very well aware of this design flaw in their vehicle as I have read numerous similar stories on the internet. Is there any rumblings of a recall? Or any recourse that can be taken in a friendly manner to get BMW to help in the huge cost of a new engine? Thoughts, comments or support of any kind are greatly appreciated.