View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13 F10/06-330i/11-F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by cordoor View Post
Now I'm curious. I'll probably go check it out on Saturday. The Ford's I've driven probably did not have what you describe.

Does it have a controller like iDrive? And if so, where is the controller located?

One of the main usability niceties of iDrive is the location of its controller. It's the best location, especially for cruising, because you can leave your arm on the arm rest. Additionally, a controller has a distinct advantage over a touch screen in that you tend to memorize the movements needed to access the features, which makes them accessible without taking your eyes off the road.
No, mine is a touchscreen controller, but I can do almost everything via voice commands. It takes a little practice, but it's a lot more logical than the BMW voice commands, plus there are prompts on what to say next. Finally, I can do something like...press voice button speak phone, speak call ...even if I have not programmed in any voice dials on the phone itself. Say...call brother on cell and it will call my brother on his cell phone....say call brother at home and it dials his home number. I hardly ever use my touch screen unless I am pulled over and scrolling over on the map (iDrive is nicer there). I have to use my iDrive much more often on my Bimmer, rather than using the voice commands.
Retired
2004 Lexus GS 430, 2001 GMC Yukon, 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 1997 Ford Thunderbird V-8

Last edited by Stonehauler; 02-21-2013 at 08:01 PM.