View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmanzah View Post
Growing up, my dad brought home many different cars. I remember marveling at how a Plymouth - (don't recall which but it had "Plymouth" written across the back. It was so big that the word fit with ample space between the letters lol) we drove in used to soak up bumps in this one stretch of uneven road. It did that better than any other car we had including range rover, land cruiser a large Datsun and a Mercedes e280 and probably a few more others.

I grew up marveling about how large American sedans had the ability to soak up bumps. My first car as a matter of fact was a large Buick Roadmaster. I loved that car but slowly grew to understand that at high speeds and in turns, floaty isn't good lol.
Here's your chance to relive the glory days:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=322474323

Click image for larger version

Name:	NinetyEight.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	363344 Click image for larger version

Name:	NinetyEight-GPa.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	363345 Click image for larger version

Name:	NinetyEight-Cockpit.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	363346 Click image for larger version

Name:	NinetyEight-Seats.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	363347 Click image for larger version

Name:	NinetyEight-UnderTheBonnet.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	363348

It's my grandfather's 1984 Oldsmobile Ninety-Eight Regency! The second picture shows my g-pa with his beloved Ninety-Eight when he took delivery of it. Check out that cockpit and those seats. Those seats were pure luxury back then. That engine was a 5.7 liter 180 horsepower V8. Dunno how they got so little power out of that but they managed it.

This was my very first experience in a large, soft American boat. It's funny you say you "marvel[ed] about how large American sedans had the ability to soak up bumps" because when I first road in this vehicle, that was *exactly* what happened to me.

And, ok, now don't laugh at me for saying this, but over the past week as I've become more and more anxious to take delivery of my 550i, which has DDC and ARS, I've been closet-hoping that in comfort or comfort+ mode, it soaks up bumps just like this Ninety-Eight! I have literally thought, "I wonder if my vehicle with DDC and ARS will soak up bumps like g-pa's Ninety-Eight."

Granted, I want my 550i to also do well in corners, but when I'm cruising the freeway, I want it to feel like a tank and provide a glass smooth ride.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry

Last edited by cordoor; 02-22-2013 at 08:37 AM.