View Single Post
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 535i 6MT & '89 535iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Love that pic. The E60 so seems like the odd duck. If you took it out, the lineage would look very evolutionary.

I feel like actually a lot of the F10's aesthetic inspiration came from the E34 as much as the E39. I feel it has the "grace" of the E39, but lots of things like the L shaped taillights and most notably the Hofmeister Kink are very E34 inspired. Namely the fact that not since the E34 has any BMW had such a strongly penned Hofmeister Kink, as if BMW is sticking it to all those copycats who apply the Hof Kink on especially FWD cars by making the F10's "Kink" so dramatic, so sweeping, so stated.
Glad that I'm not the only person who sees the E34 to F10 connection - I am biased since my first car (which I still have) was an E34 but I absolutely love the parallels between the designs of the two vehicles separated by wholly two decades. I did have a brief E39 stint, and strongly agree that the F10 looks more like a successor to the E39 than the E60.

I know there are many E39 owners who also have F10s but I have a feeling I am one of very few F10 owners who also owns an E34.