View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i 5speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcbmw View Post
I have a 97 528i looks like still have the original cooling system working at 124K mile. I got the car 3 and half years ago at 99K without knowing much about it. The car had three POs and no service record. It has been problem free for more than 3 years and recently the starter failed and also some oil leak from valve cover. I started to read in this forum and was able to replace the starter and the valve cover gasket myself thanks to the information here. Now the cooling system is making me awake at night. The more I read this forum, the more I worried. The car does not overheat but all components of the cooling system appears to be original. The radiator label does not have a date on it, but I appears still to be original based the information I read here. The upper radiator hose has a 97 marker on it. I have no idea on the thermostat and water pump but the coolant in the expansion tank is very very dirty. It is cloudy and looks like brown or rusty. I plan to do a complete system overhaul when the weather getting a little bit warmer.
I bought mine at Christmas with 191 k kms on it and the only thing I could find from the records that was changed was the t stat and pump. After reading all the posts on cooling issues I had all the remaining cooling parts changed. As one poster said, change them as they WILL fail. The only vehicle I have ever owned in 35 years where I pulled into a shop and said. This rad etc ? The stuff that's working fine? Rip out out and replace it! Now I sleep well!

Last edited by H2oallyear; 02-27-2013 at 10:11 PM.