View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrMTB View Post
e85 is not more energy-rich than 93 octane. In fact if you were to run the two side-by-side in naturally aspirated motors operating with similar parameters, the e85 setup would require about 30% more fuel, and would produce lower power. (Yes, tuning the e85 operating parameters separately would yield a bit more power than the 93 octane setup, but still with substantially more fuel.)

The benefit to e85 comes in the fact that it is very resistant to knock (FreddyG's comment is correct, in that it has an aparrant octane rating around 100); when used in a turbocharged (or supercharged) application, this allows you to run more boost and timing, which allows you to put more fuel into the cylinder, which results in greater torque and power.
Sorry, you gave the more eloquent answer. I used energy rich just to explain more power, but yes, as you noted it comes at the expense of consumption.

My friend had an e85 tuned red turbo Evo 8. It was downright scary, ten second stock appearing street car. But he had local e85.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1