View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
BMW does not design a 3 Series with a tiny LCD screen, leatherette seating, and halogens. That's not what they're about. Until the 320i is released, BMW has no answer to compete with the $29,000 luxury pricepoint, so they've allowed their car to be de-featured for those who can't afford the real thing.

What you need to wrap your brain around is that BMW is a premium luxury brand and can command top-dollar for what it sells. A BMW is supposed to be $10,000 more expensive than an Audi because an Audi is just a rebadged Volkswagen. Audi needs to layer on gobs of options because its competing with itself. Same for Acura, Lexus, Infiniti, and the like.

A BMW isn't some $37,000 car. It's practically awful in that configuration. It's a best-in-class $50,000 luxury car with cutting-edge design, handling, and technology. Audi needs to start with a $25,000 Passat and build upwards; BMW can start with a $50,000 and build downwards. That's the benefit of years of brand management and fantastic build quality. You get a premium for the badge.

BJ
It's not a question of people getting the base model because they can't afford the luxury model, it's only a $2,000 option, not like it's a completely different car! In fact I had one ordered same spec/color as BJ's but I cancelled it when I saw one on a dealer lot as I couldn't stand the chrome trims/whiskers on the outside, but it was only about $45 less per month when I switched to my no-line, hardly the difference between a Ford and a Maserati!