View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '99 528i, M52TU w/stick
Water coming in through the roof and down the pillars is going to be sunroof-related.

You have a wagon so I'm not too sure about things with your headliner, maybe you can find a headliner removal DIY for the wagons that will give an idea of the steps you'll have to take to get to the sunroof cassette.

People on here have reported having clogged sunroof drains that caused their cassette to flood and leak down onto the headliner and then from the pillars on down into the car.... floors, behind the dash etc etc....

In my case, the front two draintube connectors (there are four, one on each corner of the cassette) had come loose, so all I had to do was lower the headliner corners, pull off the hose connectors, coat the cassette drain nipples with some Permatex Ultra Black RTV, slide the connectors back on and that was that, no leaks in two years (fingers xed).

The problem is that the sunroof gasket around the edge of the sunroof opening is not completely watertight. Water gets in. That's why the cassette has drains. But if the drains clog, or their connectors slip off or loosen, you get this kind of e39 special fun.

Here's a headliner DIY for an e38 sedan. It has lots of pics and should give you some ideas. If you can find a suitable DIY for the wagon, let us know.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/566588

Last edited by pleiades; 03-01-2013 at 05:21 PM.