View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Novice driver

Mein Auto: 2014 320i ZSP ZMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
And new for the F30 is the fact that you have to pay for performance now. That legendary stiff suspension, that remarkably tight steering, they're stripped off now too. The price stays the same at the bottom end but you keep 'losing' more and more features when you strip it. Should tell you something.
This is nothing new.

Specifying a base model F30 with no packages or options provides buyers with an enviable balance between agility and comfort, perfectly appropriate for a car in the compact executive segment. For customers who are willing to give up a bit of ride comfort for a greater dose of sporty handling (like me), BMW offers a Sport Package (ZSP) on the 320i and Sport and M Sport "Lines" on the 328i and 335i. This practice is no different than what was employed with the E90 and E46. Among F30 competitors, Audi and Lexus embrace this very approach with the A4 and IS, respectively, while Mercedes-Benz provides potential W204 C-Class buyers with a choice of sporty or comfort oriented base configurations at about the same starting price.

What your post tells me is that your impression of BMW North America's packaging and feature selection strategy for the F30 is not congruent to mine, or I'd venture to say, to the majority of people who are shopping for a compact executive car.