View Single Post
Old 03-02-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: '12 BMW 328, '11 Audi Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
You couldn't be more wrong.

Luxury brands (BMW, Mercedes Benz) start from the top and allow buyers to work their way down. Base brands (Honda, Toyota) start from the bottom and force buyers to work their way up. Two different types of car philosophies, two different customers, two different strategies.
Proof? Or is just 'cause BJ says so?

Quote:

Thank you for supporting my point. There's only one kind of person that would eschew the features and appointments in a $33,000 Accord for a $37,000 BMW. A status-seeker. BMW forces you to pay $4,000 more to get no leather, no moonroof, no heated seats, no widescreen LCD, no keyless access, and on and on. And just to even the score, you need to throw another $13,000 just to get those features back in the BMW.

You are right; the F30 is two cars:

It's a $50,000 German luxury car that has the bare minimum creature comforts and industry-leading technology.

It's a $37,000 status-symbol for someone who can't afford it and is so in need of social standing that he's willing to live without the types of luxury features found on Honda's and Toyota's for 30 years to get it.
You just cannot wrap your head around the fact that you overpaid for a status symbol and now are trying to justify it. The three series (320i) starts at $32,000 the last time I looked. So you paid $50,000 for a car whose underpinnings cost the same as a $32,000

Quote:
We don't live in Europe. Spare me the "Hey, an E Class is a taxi in Frankfurt!" I know. I go to Germany twice a year. A Buick is a Rolls Royce in Shanghai. The inverse works too.
We love in a global economy, lest you have not noticed it yet and the same vehicles are marketed differently in different markets. That is why it is so funny that the BMW which is as common as a Toyota in Europe and deemed to be an entry-level car, is much sought after as a "luxury" brand in the USA. Shame on you for falling for that. I have a bridge to sell you if you are interested.

Quote:

An Audi is a rebadged Volkswagen.

BJ
VW a company that owns brands or marques such as VW, Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley and others. So what you are saying is that the Lamborghini is a re-badged Audi? Really...

I think one fact that we do agree upon is that many people who grew up with lesser cars fell for the marketing efforts of BMW and peer pressure and have for many years aspire to that hype. Then when they get the opportunity to get a BMW, they merely compare them to the cars with what they had, not what else is in the market. I concede that a BMW is better that a Toyota or Honda or many American cars, but in comparison to what it is marketed against - Mercedes and Audi, it fails.
Understanding that, the BMW should correctly be compared with the Golf GTI and the like, rather than the Audi or Mercedes.
My wife commented again today on the fading of the rubber window seals and the "B"-pillar from a car that is a mere 1 year old and is always parked in a garage. A comparison was made to the 1-year old Golf TDI that stands outside and has no fading at all.

Oh, just a final point, I am speaking from first-hand experience with current models BMW and Audi, and VW, since you threw that into the mix.

Last edited by dsackman; 03-02-2013 at 04:37 PM.