View Single Post
Old 03-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by svp66 View Post
Agree that there are differences between residual values. But as residual values go, I think they are useful when you sell rather than when you buy. The rapid drop in value works in your advantage if you buy a used car. Pick up a 1-2 year old CPO MB, BMW, Porsche (or the more rarefied brands) at a sharp discount, then keep it for 7-8 years. The difference in depreciation between brands at that point (9-10 years) is not worth talking about. Of course if you use the car for only couple years, it is a different story.

I get easily bored by cars, so for me the best option is a lease. As stated before here, BMW leases are hard to beat. That way I can enjoy an awesome car, and not worry about the repair costs. Last time I checked the price for work at BMW /MB /Porsche was certainly not cheap.

Very true about the CPO option. I usually buy and hold for quite a while. But that does bring up long term repair costs, as you mention are very high. And given the original subject of this thread, if 1 year old 2012's are having these kind of problems, I don't want to think of the bills 6-8 years down the road for a 650. And as this would be a weekend/pleasure car for me, not sure a lease would be to my best interest. I really like the 6 series, but starting to look at other options.