View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i GT
I probably should have labeled this "Battery Failure When Driving". Just an update on the status of our discharging 2010 GT. It was well charged on Monday morning reading 13.06 volts at 0700, and a charging voltage of 14.37 volts. We drove it to the BMW dealer which is a distance of about 12.2 miles. Tested the battery when we arrived at BMW and it was down to 12.23 volts when stopped, but would charge at 14.41 volts when restarted. Service manager also checked battery and stated the voltage was by then at the "tipping point" where if we had driven another mile or two, the battery would not have supported the electronics and we would have started to see warnings. Looks like you have to do your own basic troubleshooting and diagnostics!

Scenario is correct as when we drove home on Friday we actually drove about two miles further (stopped for gas and then fast food) and the warning lights all came on.

Service called yesterday (Monday) and stated they believe vehicle needs headlight module but has to be ordered, should be in today, but as usual, they never called to keep us updated. So, we have no idea whether it arrived or not, nor if that is actually the problem. Facts are they do not have repair parts in stock for most of the electrical/electronic issues, so if they discover this is not the issue, the vehicle will sit and wait. Again.

We'll see how this plays out. I can say this is my wife's car and she's a 100% Irish redhead. So, as her temper rises, I have little desire to go to the dealer with her. It's like accompanying the IRA on a strafing run through Belfast!

Last edited by magnumforc; 03-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.