View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 09:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by *****zo View Post
The consensus over at Bimmerforums is that lower pressure cap is bad and will result in engine failure due to overheating. Are you not concerned about that?
No.
Because the 1.2 bar cap holds the coolant pressure up to 126C or 260F. If you ever reach that temperature, chances are your engine has or starts to overheat. And if you reach that temperature, something else is wrong, not the expansion tank cap.
For example, I know 100% that if I see the KTMP going past 98C, one culprit could be a bad fan clutch. And with a bad fan clutch I noticed KTMP as high as 102C. Which is still below 126C. I adressed the issue, the KTMP stays where it should be now. That's for i6. For v8 the normal operating temp is higher.
So, yes, I think it's pretty safe. Thanks for pointing it out though. One can never be too careful.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby