View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadensky View Post
So you mean the 6 cylinder turbo models like x3 35i also has such problem?
Why the 8 speed transmission has such problem, isnt it supposed to be smoother (compared to 6 speed transmission) when it shifts? just curious
The problem is not as bad on the 35i due to the higher engine power. In my opinion, the jerky lower gear shifts are from the transmission's programming. The 8 speed's biggest advantage over the 6 speed is lower shift points, increase power and better gas mileage. The problem usually goes away if you drive it in the sport mode. It seems the more gentle you are with your car, the worst the problem get. That is because the transmission computer is trying to learn your driving style and shift accordingly. If you drive aggressively, it will keep the rpm higher before shifting gears which means less delay and jerking. There is a way for the dealer to reset the transmission's adpated shift points. There is also a way to reset the transmission's adpated shift points by yourself that have work in other BMW models, but the result usually only last for a few months. Your car is still pretty new, wait a few more months and see if the gears break in properly, if not, have the dealer take a look at it.

Last edited by The X Men; 03-07-2013 at 01:13 PM.