View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I get your point, but still have a hard time with the frequency & severity of the problems many have had with new 650's. Another info source from consumer reports surprisingly shows BMW and Benz V8 versions of the same model had much worse reliability
compared to the V6 versions. Very strange. My reading of many posts does bear this out - numerous people reporting bad injectors, fuel pumps, plugs ect. on the 650 V8. Now maybe the 2013/14 models have improved on this, like to hear from some folks with '13's for input. All cars can have problems, but the 6 is a flagship model, I frankly expect better than this for almost 6 figures.

BMW corporate policy is a another concern, look at the poor guy with the CPO 7 series. I mean don't they back up a CPO with any warranty? And I know it's now a throwaway society, but if you can't plan to keep a premium top of the line car past the warranty period, it's a sad state of affairs for sure.
That's where we are sadly.. I've owned several high end cars used. I owned a 2003 Range Rover and I had warranty repairs in excess of $20k.. Transmission, Alternator, Radiator, and more all went on this car before the clock ticked passed 100k miles.

I owned a 2006 650 before my current one. I had an issue with active steering that one repair was $3500.. This was before the clock hit 60k miles.. This is all in addition to scheduled maintenance etc. I sold the car at 75k miles because there were some issues that I didn't not want to deal with as the car aged. I say all that to say this. Planned obsolescence is real and I truly believe these cars are engineered to run problem free until the warranty period is up. Which usually coincides with when the original owner moves on to a new vehicle and an unsuspecting 2nd owner has to deal with the headache of maintaining a money pit.

I mean it's no coincidence that most dealerships make the lion share of their money through the service department and the sale of used cars. It's all put together to systematically Rob folks of their coins or their peace of mind. For me I would rather lease and fix my costs and know that if anything happens I am covered.

Last edited by EmM HoLLa; 03-07-2013 at 04:35 PM.