View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i, E60528i
no love for the E60?

I might be the ONLY one here with these sentiments but I still have a part of my heart with the E60. Yes, I had three E39s (1997, 2000, 2002) in the past that I drove to over 80K each and enjoyed every single mile. Our 2008 E60, though, is still in the family, still remains my jump-in and go grocery getter. Though only a 528i, it does have sport package, ARS, sport automatic, and Nav system. While the exterior Bangle design of the E60 is subjective (with most people not liking it), much has to be said about BMW bringing technology to the driving public with the introduction of the E60. Things like Active steering, Active Roll Stabilization, Active headlights, and the introduction of RFT (!). For my spirited type of driving, I am still amazed how easily the E60 does it. Nice, lowered and tuned sport suspension, ready right out of the gate (no mods needed). And the RFT? BMW thoughtfully (more like overlooked) the inclusion of a spare tire well with temp tire installed. Yes! So, for some of us, easy peasy upgrade to non RFT on the E60.

The latter years (2008 on) E60 had improved interiors and nicer sheet metal changes (especially M Sport on last MY). Looks aside, the E60 will be should be given credit for dragging us into the technology age of automobiles.

So back to the OP theme. F10 natural evolution of the E39? Maybe, but I don’t think so. The F10 is a “down market” version of the 7 series. A “sporty” version of a luxury sedan. The E39 was a luxury version of a SPORT sedan. The E60 was the less attractive but tech endowed evolution of the E39. Still a SPORT sedan in my book. The F10 is from a whole different planet. That works for me...I’m older now and not so much in a hurry.