View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 07:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjoed2 View Post
I agree with you overall assessment of the situation. But would like to add planned obsolescence is usually refereed to as a product being engineered to be out of date quickly - not necessarily of bad quality or workmanship. Computers or a Ipad would be a good example. But this is a little different. And I would have to add that on this subject many are having problems within the first year of the new car, well before anywhere near the end of warranty period is involved. Let's call it was it is, if a product's components are designed to last no more than the warranty period - we would normally call it a lousy, or low quality item- be a TV, lawn mower or $100K car. Hate to think of BMW as the new Range Rover as their quality history is sadly horrific, as is their countryman Jaguar.

Leasing normally is a good alternative, as you turn in the keys every 2-4 years - but in my case I am looking for something nice that can be a keeper as it will be a low mileage pleasure car. Maybe it's a fruitless search.
I have never really compared a lease to a purchase, I lease my car through the company so it just makes more sense for me.

But if a $100,000 car costs about $1100 a month for a lease, in 6 years that would be $79200 while being able to change cars after 3 years. If you purchased that car would it really be worth much more than $20,000 after 6 years? The lease will probably end up costing a little more, but you will also have a new car after 3 years and you will never have to worry about not having a warranty. Considering the reliability of luxury cars these days it's very possible the lease might actually save you money.