Thread: Top View
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
Is this option useful?
We have PDC sensors on the rear on our big F350 truck. My wife loves 'em. Uses 'em to dock with the horse trailer. Definitely an option she wanted on the new X3. When we went in for our test drive to figure out options and colors and such (we already knew we were getting a replacement X3), she saw the camera views and said (just like she said about the pano roof in '05), "I want that!". I started to ask whether she was talking about rear view or top view and she didn't even let me finish, "Both of them!", she said.

Done. Happy wife, happy life. The rear camera is bundled with Park Distance Control for $950 MSRP in 2014. Getting side cameras adds $350. Not a huge change (0.875%) on a vehicle that costs $40K.

Now what I am worried about is that she (or me) will be looking at the camera display and not out the window and run into something the camera can't see. Our new X3 is going to require some serious training time to understand and properly use all the darn gadgets...

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine