View Single Post
Old 03-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528iT
The rear subframe bushes I bought came in a Lemforder box with a Lemforder part No. The bush inside was identical to the original BMW part even to the point that the BMW logo and part no had been partially removed but enough of it was left to show it was exactly the same as the "genuine" part. The bushes are not just fluid filled. They have a damper valve built into the lower part of the bush which controls the subframe "torque wind up" when you accelerate and brake. If you look carefully between the bottom of the bush and the large steel bump plate underneath it you can see any cracks in the rubber. If these are cracked the fluid and damping action is long gone. This allows the subframe to hit the underside of the load area floor. Hence the crashing and banging. Its more pronounced if you hit a rut that both rear wheels cross at the same time. If the gap between the bottom plate and the underside of the bush is more than 4-5mm (1/8 to3/16") then your bushes have probably had it. I didn't know about the solid bushes until after I replaced mine. Next time?????

RonR
99 528iT M52TU

Last edited by Aussie528iT; 03-20-2013 at 06:48 PM.