View Single Post
Old 03-23-2013, 01:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528iT

You don't need any lube to remove the bushes. BMW specifies "Circolight" lubricant for the installation. My hard copy parts list gives mineral turpentine as an alternative. What is Circolight? Its a petroleum byproduct used in the rubber industry. What is mineral turpentine? Its also a petroleum byproduct. Its basically the same stuff. I tested both natural turpentine oil and mineral turpentine on the old bushes. Same result. It softens the rubber for a day or so and when it evaporates the rubber returns to normal. I coated the bushes where they go into the subfame using the mineral turpentine. The bushes pressed in easily and haven't moved since - 4+ years ago. Others who have used soapy water have found the bushes started to come out of the subframe. I made my own tool using the TIS sketches and measured the new bushes and the subframe to make it work.

Re vibrations: I felt a lot of vibration through the seat and floor area. Also when I braked to a stop the rear subframe would wind up and then the car would move as it unwound even though the brakes were still applied. The body moved but the wheels didn't. Both these problems disappeared with the new bushes. Its an auto so with a manual transmission you may not notice the wind up/unwind as once the clutch is disengaged there is no drive force acting on the driveline and subframe.

Hope this helps
RonR
99 528iT M52TU

Last edited by Aussie528iT; 03-23-2013 at 01:12 AM. Reason: added vibration and windup info