View Single Post
Old 03-26-2013, 05:40 AM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
It has been known by most that the temperature gauge on the E39 is "dampened" such that the needle on this gauge will remain approx. dead center over a range of coolant temperatures, but to now know that this range is 75 degrees-113 degrees C is ridiculous in my mind. I can see BMW wanting owners to feel safe and not get overly excited about needle swings up or down, but I think if the gauge was not dampened to this degree, we might be able to observe trends in our cars before they become "critical". Most that have reported sudden over-heating state that one minute the gauge was dead center and then all of a sudden it shot up to "pegged" at the over-heated end and they were trying quickly to find a place to immediately pull-over. I believe if BMW trusted owners to be able to see what is really going on temperature-wise on our cars, we could decide for ourselves whether we need to take proactive action based upon driving our cars everyday and getting used to "what is normal". I just love that BMW feels a need to protect us from reality! "WE CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH"-says Jack.