View Single Post
Old 03-27-2013, 03:17 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
For the crosslinked record, this series of common questions was asked today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guam135i View Post
I have a E39, 525i Touring. I replaced the expansion tank a few days ago after it cracked. Now I need to replace the water pump and since Im at it I will also replace the thermostat. The car has 61K miles.

The question is, is the Stewart warner WP worth he $195? or aftremarket with metal impeller at half the price? same question for the thermostat, OEM or replacement at half the price. Since I am at it would it be a good idea to replace the plastic WP pulley with an aluminum one?

I later plan to go to a zionville cooling system which does not include the WP or the Pulley at 80K miles

Thoughts on this is appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Age old question.

Has been asked a thousand times.

Start by typing /waterpump F3 in the best links, e.g.,
- What brand of waterpump to buy (1)

If, after reading that thread, you still have questions, that is the right place to ask (so that all the erudite questions are kept together for the NEXT person to benefit).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guam135i View Post
Thanks, made the decision on the WP now any idea on the Thermostat? and plastic pulley?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Again, these questions have been often asked, so, repeating the same approach should work, shouldn't it?

For example, typing /cooling system F3 in the best links nets this, among others:
- List & picture of all the cooling system overhaul recommended parts to replace (1) (2) (3)

Likewise with typing /belt drive F3:
- Recommended parts list for a complete belt drive system overhaul (1)