BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

DIY Oil change

16K views 81 replies 23 participants last post by  Damon54 
#1 ·
I am new to BMW's, i have only had mine 5 months. I have always done my oil changes for all of my cars in the past and no dipstick in this car will not stop me, lol. I just have a few questions.

1. Do most people use the BMW filter?
2. Whats the proper way to check the oil level?
3. How many miles do you go between changes?
4. How do you reset the service reminder?

#2 ·
1. Don't know about most people, but I always go to the dealer to get oil and filters,
2. You check the oil level via iDrive for those who don't have a dipstick. And that's not always 100% right 100% of the time, but 100% right about 99% of the time. close enough, but not perfect.
3. 15K is what the dealer recommends based on the oil used. Gear heads like me go about 7500, no more than 8000. The extremists do 3-5K. That's not necessary.

#3 ·
+1

I am new to BMW's, i have only had mine 5 months. I have always done my oil changes for all of my cars in the past and no dipstick in this car will not stop me, lol. I just have a few questions.

I go every 5K miles considering my car is tuned..

#4 · (Edited)

My answers:
1. I go with OEM oil filters. (If you have a M54 engine its the Mann 925/4x, if you have a N52/N54/N55 its the Mann 816x and if you have a V8 then its a Hengst but i'm not sure whats the model)

2. The proper way to check the oil level is through the i-Drive. I don-t like it but its the only way. (I once had a faulty oil level sensor and it was a PITA. Sometimes it would report that i needed to add a QT and the next day it would say it was full and so on)

3. Well i usually go for 5K-7.5K kilometers (8-12 months), my driving conditions are horrible compared to you guys.
The oil life monitor in my car is set to 12K kilometers intervals unlike USA which is set to around 15K miles. (I know it adjusts over time based on driving conditions)

4. Already shown above.

#10 ·
Regardless where I get the filter, all carry the same brand, hengst for my v8.
There is an oil dip stick on the rear engine of my v8. Not sure on the others. Idrive just takes too long to show up. 8.5qts of good 5-30w valvoline syn for me every 7k miles.

#12 ·
I did at one point use Castrol Syntec full Synthetic 5W 30 (Black bottle) for my X, and after a few hundred miles it was developing a rattle. No problem (thought VANOS crapping out) until after I switched back to the Castrol synthetic (from dealer) and noticed it wasn't rattling anymore. This was in my X, the 530i was good, but I switched back on both. I had to do some research and found out that particular Castrol Syntec has an SM API (minimum) rating, but I couldn't find out if it was LL-01 approved. You choose your oil here and use this site from BMW.
I'm not sure of the exact oil that comes in a BMW bottle (i'm sure it's Castrol) but if they sell it they better be sure it's approved for their engines.

That rattling was a concern to me so I just go to the dealer to get oil now, plus I get discounts and free stuff and my name gets updated in the system so if I sell my car there they see some type of oil purchase because the car doesn't go to them for issues as often as they would like.

#15 ·
Members don't let members drive to 15k miles oci.
Too much delicate component in these vehicle to let sludge gets in its way.
Sure LL oil is there. 15k highway miles is not the problem but adding the short trips and traffic jams to the factor.

Unless you're leasing and dumping the car back to dealer then im sure its ok to go 15k. As bmw is target for mostly lease customer.

For example, Vanos. These things need good oil passage to work properly.

#16 ·
csnpsu you have a 528i correct? You'll need 7 quarts of for an oil change on N52 found in the 528i, the engine takes 6.9 quarts but you're safe over filling by a tenth of a quart.

For oil brands we've found the genuine BMW oil (a Castrol product) to be a great oil, other options our customers really like come from Liqui Moly (Lurbo Moly), Motul, Royal Purple, RedLine, Pentosin, and Total. The preferred weight per BMW is 5w-30, but some choose to run 0w40 or 5w40 with no issues. LINK to oils.

For the filter, Mann is the manufacture of the factory filter. We suggest going with either the genuine BMW or the Mann (LINK to filters for E60 528i)

#17 ·
Many BMW oil pans have a drain plug on the side and towards the rear, but not all the way in the back and centered

This means that must you let the old oil drain while the vehicle is level, otherwise, old oil will remain in the pan.

Jack-up the car and remove the drain plug; then bring the car back down to allow it to complete its draining process.

Then jack it back up to remove/install the new oil filter and reinstall the oil plug.

#21 ·
I bought my CPO 535xiT in August with about 38K miles. I assumed that the oil was changed as part of the CPO process. I just had the last "free" service at 49K miles, and the SA mentioned that the oil had not been changed since December of 2011, so I was past due by length of time even the though the I-drive said that I was OK. Anyway, what's done is done. Now that I own it, will changing oil every 7500 miles in the future be worth it if has been "abused" through long oil changes in its past life?

#22 · (Edited)
All should be good if the car was CPO. I say that only because it was a BMW center, and even then it's questionable because dealers screw up sometimes. Either way they should scope the engine and ensure all is well. Many people run their car the intended 15,000 mile interval without any problems early on, then return the lease and get another.

Just don't go 20,000+ miles without a change, especially in the N54. I mean the car tells you when to change it and some people still say bah humbug. This is what can happen.

Attachments

#23 ·
Plus, you can't always count on dealer record and/or actions to be accurate. I bought my 08 535xi CPO a couple months ago..the record indicated the oil change just before the sale to me, but the car did not agree. Oil was changed as a precaution...

In any case, you have extremely little to worry about...just get to a 7500-9000 interval and you'll be fine.

#24 ·
:hi:The best thing to do is get on line and look for dealer oel specials. They usually have them for ~$70. IF you DIY it will save you ~$20, and I dont think it is worth it. THEN you will have that critical certification that it was done. This is helpful at resale.
Additionally it is a PIA to DIY!:thumbdwn:

If it was a big savings it may be worth it but I dont think it is. You can take the alleged savings and buy a cup of Benzin. LOL

#25 ·
Changing the oil yourself is one of the easiest things you can do. Plus it's fun! If you own a garage, have basic tools and a jack with stands, then you have no excuse not to do it yourself.

#29 ·
Walmart is now carrying the mobil1 0w40 5 quart for $25. Add 2 more quarts (14) and a filter(8) from the dealer or advance is a $47 dollar change. That is almost a third of most dealerships. I was having vanos issues putting my n54 in limp mode, but after a couple changes at 7000 miles the issue hasn't came back. I am guessing that it was changed at 15k from the guy I got it from.

#30 ·
What is really cool? I went to my local Walmart and saw the sale you mention, but they didn't have any 0W40 in stock. I went to O'Reilly auto parts and they matched the Walmart price for me and got me the filter for $9. PERFECT!!!! :thumbup:

#35 · (Edited)
So we know to look for motor oil that is > 3.5 HTHS.

What about viscosity?

The BMW 5W-30, LL-01, at 100 Celsius (212 Fahrenheit) = 12.2 cSt viscosity rating; (heavy weight = 10 - 12.5cSt@100c) (thin weight = < 10 cSt@ 100c)

Mobil 1 0W-40 = 14.3 cSt @100C

Their Mobil 1 5W-30 Extended Performance = 10.2 cSt @ 100C (A much lighter weight oil than 0W-40)

So, folks, I am telling you, that Mobil 1, 0W-40, at Walmart for $24.97, 5 quart jug, is highway robbery.

It might (slightly) rob you of some MPG's, but, come on! We're trying to save that $18,000 motor from unnecessary wear; aren't we?

The viscosity of a fluid is a measure of its resistance to gradual deformation by shear stress or tensile stress. For liquids, it corresponds to the informal notion of "thickness". For example, honey has a higher viscosity than water.

I am in favor of engine bearing protection over MPG's.

With Mobil 1 0W-40, you have a lot of oil "thickness" between surfaces at high temp's.

I vote "yes" for that!

Stock up for ALL of your vehicles at this price. I certainly have!

Worried about Cold Starts? 0W-40 has a pour rating of -45 degrees celsius.

So you are covered on those cold Northern nights.

#36 ·
I think.....
BMW states that their cars need the Castrol Euro formula etc. (WHY???).
They dont even suggest the US version of Castrol(?).
Is there a real reason, or is it typical arrogance?
Further what is the dealer (really) using?

As you have mentioned the Mobil 1 is most likely an excellent alternative.

BUT if I had an M5 or other high powered engine even a turbo, i would do some research to find a proper alternative. IF it is Mobil1 so be it.

#37 ·
I'm sorry, but this is a "bang your head against a wall" moment.

Mobil 1 0W-40 = HTHS of 3.8 (BMW requires 3.5 min);

Viscosity of Mobil 1 0W-40 = 14.2 at 212 Fahrenheit while (BMW requires 12.3).

In other words, Mobil 1, 0W-40, kicks axx on BMW's LL-01 spec's.

Now take this data, and compare to your favorite Castrol oil blend/mix/packaging.

Go to their (Castrol's, etc) web site and review their MSDS data sheet on the specific oil you are contemplating.

I do not work for Exxon/Mobil nor Walmart, but every once in awhile, they offer incredible bargains to the public. Mobil 1, 0W-40, is such a bargain.

#39 ·
No problem using the dealer BMW Castrol oil.

If you want to buy at Walmart or your local auto parts store, use the LL-01 Castrol 0W-40 or Mobil 0W-40.

That way you'll stay in spec for your engine.

Will other oils work? Maybe.

Is it worth the risk? No.

#40 ·
The current Mobil 1 0W-40 formula does not have a 14.2 cSt flow rate at 100C, it's 13.5.
The reason why they suggest the Euro formula Castrol is probably due to the US Oil not meeting BMW LL-01 standards.
Another very strict standard in the MB 229.5, which i think is even harder to get than the BMW LL-01.

#43 ·
Castrol Edge with Syntec Power Technology 0W-30: 12.2 cSt @100 celsius

Castrol EDGE Professional A3 0W-40: 13.5 cSt @ 100 celsius

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 A3/B4: 13.3 cSt " "

Castrol SLX Professional OE 5W-30 12 cSt

Castrol Tec II 5W-30: 10.6 cSt

Castrol EDGE 5W-40 U.S.: 14.28 cSt

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T 5W-40: 13 cSt

#46 ·
I know about that MSDS but it seems that Exxon Mobil did not update their MSDS with the latest specs. You can see the latest one at Mobiloil.com.
First you have to click "Oils" then choose your "Oil Product" and then at the bottom of the page you will see the MSDS for the oil and the Product Data Sheet. In this case for some reason Exxon Mobil updated the Product Data Sheet but not the MSDS.
Take a look.

#47 ·
Liqui-Moly Synthoil Energy SAE 0W-40 Viscosity at +100 °C : 14 cSt

Liqui-Moly Synthoil Longtime SAE 0W-30 Viscosity at +100 °C : 10.1 cSt

Liqui-Moly Synthoil Longtime Plus SAE 0W-30 Viscosity at 100 °C : 9.6 cSt

Liqui-Moly Synthoil High Tech SAE 5W-40 Viscosity at 100 °C : 14.1 cSt

What a difference in viscosity across the oils. From a very thin 9.6, to a heavy 14.1 cSt.

But on the shelf, they all look good.

You want MPG's? Go with the 9.6

You want heavy protection? Go with 14.1 cSt

BMW wants 12.5 cSt minimum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.