View Single Post
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Just an update to this (just when you thought I was done with this!)

I got around testing this feature back in the middle of march and was very horrified to learn that the system was ONLY playing movies from the 6 disc changer to the front navigation screen... not the rear seat entertainment like was expected...

so the car has been in the shop for a laundry list of updates, and corrections (sure love the money I'm saving between my 528 and 550 - its 11.1 l/100km vs 12.8 l/100 on the last 2 weeks of reporting per km so not much savings which is a total surprise! but thats a different topic).

Anyway, I guess BMW agreed that the system should play the movies in the rear, and they are building a custom cable for the car to redirect the video to the rear system also. Parts of course on back order at this point so when the other issues are resolved I get my car back until they have a chance to build this cable then to return and install it...

I have to say despite this being painful and stupid expensive, the dealer and BMW have both been very good so far to resolve this issue. I cant believe they have to, let alone will build the wire harness required to enable the feature.

Just to ensure this thread eventually get closed off with a success or failure, I will post the final outcome when its resolved - but I didn't want to leave this thread hanging as "functionally" in case someone was crazy enough to try to do this to later learn there was an issue..

fingers crossed - but this may in fact work by the time they are done... I have to admit not having cable all over the place and the factory look is very cool - I'm sure the second gut to do this will at least not have the challenges I had when they bit this bullet....